Migraines Facts That You Need to Know
Migraines are headaches but not all headaches are migraines. Many types of headaches exist and they all cause pain, in common. Sinus, cluster, migraines and tension headaches are the various types of headache known. Migraines are neurological conditions of recurring, severe and painful headaches which follows sensory warning signs and other symptoms. It occurs on one side of the head often. The resultant pain caused by migraine can last from minutes to several hours or days in some cases. People living around Bexhill, East Sussex are not immune to migraines as everyone else. People within the ages of 15 to 55 tend to suffer from migraine.
Types Of Migraine
The two major types are based on the patients experience of any disturbance to the senses which leads to a migraine. They are:
- Migraine with Aura – It involves disturbance to the senses
- Migraine without Aura – It occurs in the absence of disturbance.
- Other types include: Menstrual, Hemiplegic, Abdominal, Chronic, Migraine with brainstem aura.
Causes of migraine
Migraine causes are not exactly known. Abnormal brain activities are suspected to be the cause. Sensitivity to triggers which starts migraine varies amongst individuals. This can be ascribed to genetics. Some triggers that are likely to set off migraines are:
- Emotional triggers: This includes anxiety, excitement, shock, stress and depression can trigger a migraine.
- Dietary triggers: Eating patterns can contribute to migraine. Dehydration and Irregular meal times are potentially triggers migraine. Caffeine and alcohol contributes to migraine. Other foods that can also contribute includes citrus fruits, chocolate, cheese and foods containing additive tyramine.
- Environmental triggers: Persisting smells, loud noises, flickering screens, adverse temperature, second-hand smoke amongst others are likely to trigger migraine.
- Medications: Hormone replacement therapy, combined contraceptive and some sleeping pills have been named as possible triggers.
- Hormonal Changes: During menstruation, women feel symptoms of migraine as hormone levels change.
Symptoms Associated with Migraine
Persons suffering from migraine experience these symptoms which are known as the prodrome phase of migraine. This can occur as long as two days before the headache begins or as less as an hour.
- Feel pains in the neck or face areas.
- May suffer dizziness, malaise or light-headedness in some parts of the body or the whole body.
- Nauseate or vomits
- Auras or Distorted vision – Auras are usually visuals. These includes spots, flickering lights or lines. This condition lasts within five minutes to an hour.
- Depression – Moderate or Severe depression increases the risk of episodic migraines becoming chronic.
- Cravings- Some migraine sufferers crave for some certain foods before experiencing migraine.
- Throbbing pain- This occurs mainly on one side of the head.
- Frequent Urination- This is one of the numerous symptoms people experience before the occurrence of a migraine.
Other symptoms include scalp tenderness, nasal congestion or irritability amongst other symptoms a migraine sufferer experiences.
How to treat migraines
Migraines have no single cure but treatment targets the prevention of a complete attack, suppressing the prevailing symptoms.
To reduce migraine frequency alteration of a patients lifestyle may be necessary. Some steps that can be taken includes: drinking much water, sleeping properly, avoiding some foods that triggers the condition, eating some meals, participating in regular exercise.
The enlisted treatments focuses on avoiding triggers, taking medicine and controlling the symptoms. Also, surgery has been used for patients when first-line treatments fail to work, to reduce or eliminate migraines. An injection known as Botox, is injected in some nerves in the neck and face which are linked to migraine reactions.
Therapy can also help to educate a patient as to how to avoid triggers and suppress symptoms of migraine. At our offices, located at London, Bexhill, East Sussex and by Skype we help you to identify the causes of your migraine using therapies such as Hypnotherapy, EFT, EMDR and Regression therapy and other strategies to help suppress and cure your migraines. For more information, check the ‘contact-us’ section on our website; hypnosissouthlondon.co.uk